GET #OPTIMIZED TODAY
Modafinil or Adrafinil: What is The Best Smart Drug?
Nootropics are increasing in popularity due to their significant health benefits. Modafinil and Adrafinil are two well-known nootropics which many consumers take for their cognitive stimulation. So, how exactly do these drugs work, and which is the best smart drug to purchase?
What is Modafinil?
Modafinil is often prescribed for those with excessive sleepiness, usually associated with obstructive sleep apnea or narcolepsy. It is normally prescribed under the brand name Provigil and unlike other stimulants, modafinil selectively targets specific neurons, focusing on the amygdala and hypothalamus brain regions to affect only a few neurotransmitters in achieving its stimulating results. Modafinil enhances orexin production (a neurotransmitter which is used by neurons to communicate with each other). Additionally, modafinil boosts norepinephrine production, a neurotransmitter which promotes alertness and focus.
The suggested daily dose of modafinil is 200mg and can be consumed with or without food. A dose of 400mg daily should not be exceeded.
What are the Benefits of Modafinil?
Alongside its powerful stimulating benefits to promote alertness, modafinil also boasts an array of impressive benefits for cognition;
- Modafinil has a half-life of around 15 hours, meaning it is able to increase wakefulness without affecting sleep.
- As modafinil doesn’t affect sleeping patterns, it’s ideal for aiding narcolepsy, sleep disorders and fatigue associated with multiple sclerosis.1
- Enhanced memory and reaction time means modafinil is a good choice for those wishing to improve their cognitive functioning, such as students, professionals and people working long shifts.2
- Modafinil can be beneficial for your overall mood, thanks to its ability to increase dopamine.3
- Modafinil can be used as an alternative treatment for the management of adult ADHD with results comparable to amphetamine treatments.4
Can Modafinil Be Stacked?
While modafinil is highly effective, it can be stacked with other nootropics for optimal results. In particular, modafinil can be stacked with Noopept and racetams.
How Long Can Modafinil Be Consumed For?
Modafinil is thought to be safe for several months of use, as clinical research has shown.5 However, if you’re considering buying modafinil online, speak to a doctor beforehand, especially if you are taking medication. It is relatively easy to buy modafinil – if you’re new to this nootropic, it may be best starting with a 50mg dose and gradually increasing your dosage, if required.
What is Adrafinil?
So, how does modafinil compare with adrafinil? Like modafinil, adrafinil is considered to be a eugeroic stimulant and it produces similar effects. Again, its main use is to enhance alertness and wakefulness, ideal for those with sleep disorders.
Adrafinil works in a similar way to modafinil in targeting specific receptors in the brain. By acting in this way, both adrafinil and modafinil act gradually to minimize the typical side effects of anxiety or euphoria when starting or ‘coming off’ this nootropic. When converted by the liver, adrafinil converts into modafinil which is why they produce similar benefits.
Unlike modafinil, adrafinil requires a dosage of 300mg to 600mg to achieve the same effects. This is because not all adrafinil converts into modafinil in the body – some converts into an inactive compound named modafinilic acid, therefore, adrafinil is less potent than modafinil.
What are the Benefits of Adrafinil?
Adrafinil offers similar benefits to modafinil, including;
- Sharper focus, improved memory, faster recall, and better overall cognitive functioning.6
- Both adrafinil and modafinil are considered to be better than methamphetamine in alleviating sleepiness.7
- Improved mood.8
- Adrafinil improved physical functioning in a study of 548 patients with memory problems.9
- In a study of 70 patients with depression, adrafinil reduced symptoms of depression.10
- Adrafinil enhanced learning in a study of aged beagle dogs (a human aging and cognitive decline model).11
Can Adrafinil Be Stacked?
Adrafinil can be stacked with other nootropics and supplements to enhance its effects. Noopept, L-Theanine and caffeine are all popular supplements to stack with adrafinil.
How Long Can Adrafinil Be Consumed For?
Adrafinil is not recommended for long-term use. However, up to 5 months use is thought to be safe. If you’re looking to buy adrafinil online, do not take for more than three times weekly. Start with a lower dose of 100mg, to begin with, and build up to a higher dosage.
The Difference Between Modafinil and Adrafinil
While adrafinil is converted into modafinil in the body, there are several differences between them. The best drug is likely to depend on your needs and how these differences will affect them;
- As adrafinil requires processing by the liver, it takes longer to reach your bloodstream, meaning it is slower to take effect.
- Adrafinil has a half-life of 5 hours compared to modafinil’s 15 hours. If you don’t want your drug to affect your sleeping pattern, adrafinil may be the better option.
- A smaller dosage of modafinil is required as adrafinil needs to be converted in the body. A minimum of 100mg of modafinil is needed in comparison to 300mg of adrafinil.
- Adrafinil is less tightly regulated than modafinil. Additionally, it’s important to know that the World Anti-Doping Association considers both adrafinil and modafinil to be performance enhancing drugs.
- To be used legally in the USA, modafinil requires a prescription from your doctor, whereas adrafinil is available to buy online.
- As it doesn’t require conversion, modafinil is thought to be safer on the liver.
Both modafinil and adrafinil are highly effective drugs for enhancing brain cognition. The best smart drug depends on your requirements. If you only require short-term effects, adrafinil may be the best option. However, modafinil requires a smaller dose and may be better for treating sleep disorders. Before you take any drug, contact your doctor beforehand, especially if you are taking medication or are likely to be prescribed medication in the near future.